The Resource Sixth extinction : an unnatural history
- Sixth extinction : an unnatural history
- Title remainder
- an unnatural history
- Statement of responsibility
- Elizabeth Kolbert
- Title variation
- 6th extinction
- Over the last half billion years, there have been five major mass extinctions, when the diversity of life on Earth suddenly and dramatically contracted. Scientists are currently monitoring the sixth extinction, predicted to be the most devastating since the asteroid impact that wiped out the dinosaurs. This time around the cataclysm is us. In this book the author tells us why and how human beings have altered life on the planet in a way no species has before. She provides a moving account of the disappearances of various species occurring all around us and traces the evolution of extinction as concept, from its first articulation by Georges Cuvier in revolutionary Paris up to Lyell and Darwin, and through the present day. The sixth extinction is likely to be mankind's most lasting legacy, compelling us to rethink the fundamental question of what it means to be human
- ALA Notable Book, 2015.
- Green Prize for Sustainable Literature: Adult Nonfiction, 2015.
- Library Journal Best Books 2014
- Los Angeles Times Book Prize for Science and Technology, 2014.
- Massachusetts Book Awards, Nonfiction Award, 2015.
- New York Times Notable Book, 2014
- Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction, 2015.
- Cataloging source
- Dewey number
- index present
- Literary form
- non fiction
- Nature of contents
- Target audience
ContextContext of Sixth extinction : an unnatural history
Select options that apply then copy and paste the RDF/HTML data fragment to include in your application
Embed this data in a secure (HTTPS) page:
Include data citation:
Note: Adjust the width and height settings defined in the RDF/HTML code fragment to best match your requirements
Cite Data - Experimental
Data Citation of the Work Sixth extinction : an unnatural history
Copy and paste the following RDF/HTML data fragment to cite this resource
<div class="citation" vocab="http://schema.org/"><i class="fa fa-external-link-square fa-fw"></i> Data from <span resource="http://link.culver.lib.in.us/resource/QRjBAS5KaZs/" typeof="CreativeWork http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/Work"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a href="http://link.culver.lib.in.us/resource/QRjBAS5KaZs/">Sixth extinction : an unnatural history</a></span> - <span property="potentialAction" typeOf="OrganizeAction"><span property="agent" typeof="LibrarySystem http://library.link/vocab/LibrarySystem" resource="http://link.culver.lib.in.us/"><span property="name http://bibfra.me/vocab/lite/label"><a property="url" href="http://link.culver.lib.in.us/">Culver-Union Township Public Library</a></span></span></span></span></div>